Seton Medical Center Harker Heights Patient Care Assistant PRN in Harker Heights, Texas
The Patient Care Assistant, under the supervision of a Registered Nurse, works collaboratively with the health care team to provide outcome-based patient care. The Patient Care Assistant observes and reports the patient's response and progress to interventions. Adheres to Seton Medical Center Harker Heights' performance expectations and performs all defined services and other related duties in accordance with the mission, vision and values of Seton Medical Center Harker Heights.
· Required to work a minimum of 48 hours per four-week period with 12 hours categorized as weekend hours in their home unit.
· Required to work one major holiday per year (winter: Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year). This holiday must be scheduled on the Associate's home unit. Must observe principles of universal protocol.
· Performs basic nursing tasks under the delegation and supervision of the RN and according to each patient/client's individualized plan of care. Nursing tasks are provided with courtesy and sensitivity to the needs of the clients. Examples include, but are not limited to, the following:
· Collecting, reporting and documentation of data including, but not limited to: Vital signs, height, weight, intake and output, oximetry and comfort level; Specimens for diagnostic study - urine, stool, sputum and blood via finger stick for blood glucose testing; Changes to baseline data established by the RN; and client or family comments relating to the client's care and behaviors related to the plan of care
· Ambulation, positioning and turning
· Assisting with admissions, entering physician orders, discharges, transfers and transportation of patients Activities of daily living to include personal hygiene, skin care and bed making.
· Passing and collecting meal trays/menus and providing food and fluids as ordered
· Socialization activities
· Maintains confidentiality for written, verbal and computerized information.
· Provides basic communication and clerical support for unit functions including, but not limited to:
· Assisting with answering and responding to call lights and telephone calls
· Utilizing equipment necessary for communication - intercom system, paging system, fax machine, pneumatic tube system
· Assembling and maintaining departmental and patient records
· Provides basic materials management support as needed including, but not limited to: Stocking and obtaining unit supplies and equipment
· Identifying, labeling and reporting malfunctioning equipment Provides basic housekeeping duties as needed including, but not limited to:
· Assisting in maintaining a clean, safe and orderly environment for patients and staff
· Assisting in preparing and stripping rooms as needed.
SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES:
· Experience with patient safety best practices preferred.
· Demonstrated excellent customer service skills.
· Ability to maintain confidentiality regarding sensitive information
· Demonstrated proficient communication skills.
· High School Diploma or Equivalency
· 1 year of acute care hospital experience preferred
B. Licenses, Registrations, or Certifications:
· CNA from the State of Texas Required
· BLS through American Heart Association required upon hire